the botar: a new musical instrument
what is a botar?
- a new musical instrument
- an electronic musical instrument
- neck: the part the player plays
- brain: a computer
what does it look like?
view of neck
- the neck
- looks like the neck of a guitar, except that
- it has no peghead
- instead of conventional strings it uses sensors
- the brain
- the prototype uses a development computer, but all the circuitry could
be made to fit in a box no bigger than a videocassette
how do you play it?
Very much like you play a cello or a guitar, except that instead of
bowing or plucking you press on a "string", which is a strip
of rubber lying over a sensor.
- the harder you press the louder the instrument sounds
- no pressure, no sound
A short QuickTime movie of someone playing
The same movie in Windows AVI format.
what does it sound like?
- it can sound like a blown or bowed instrument or the human voice
- I'm making some mp3 sound files to publish here
where does the development of the botar stand?
- I've built a working model
- I've decided to put the idea in the public domain, so others can work
on it. I.e., this is an 'open source' project, like the linux project.
- the next version